Guest blog from Melissa Daggett Licensed Esthetician.
Melissa is a Medical Esthetician and her specialty services are Clinical Facials, Peels, Microdermabrasion with LED, Dermaplaning. She also offers free consultations. She is found in
Call or text for an appointment (603) 848-4234
Everyone loves the sun, but not everyone acknowledges the negative effects it can have on the skin or the benefits of following safe sun practices. Here at GlyMed Plus, we want to give people the ability to have their youngest looking skin so we are sharing 7 reasons to help you fall in love with SPF.
1) 85% of aging on the skin is caused by extrinsic factors such as UltraViolet radiation and environmental pollution.
2) When unprotected skin is exposed to UV radiation the stratum corneum thickens as a way to protect the skin. This thickening can last for a few days after exposure leading to irritation, dryness, and flaking.
3) MMP production is increased within minutes of being exposed to UV rays unprotected. MMP’s are enzymes that break down collagen and elastin resulting in accelerated signs of aging, such as wrinkles and sagging of the skin.
4) UV radiation damages skin cells. Once a cell has been damaged it will continue to split and act in an abnormal manner leading to overactive melanocytes, decreased desquamation, and trans-epidermal water loss.
5) Sun damage leads to skin dehydration, decreasing the transportation of nutrients to the cells, an impaired barrier function, and transepidermal water loss.
6) Melanin production increases to protect the skin from UV damage which can look like an even tan at the time but will lead to overactive melanocytes, uneven pigmentation, and sun spots later on.
7) UV Exposure on unprotected skin causes free radical damage, which can lead to cell mutation and the development of skin cancer.